5 NOVEMBER - 26 DECEMBER 2019 (All scripts to be submitted via email & have Ko-Fi Quirky Contribution by Midnight on 26th Dec)
Ah gwan.....have a goooooo😎
THE DASHINGLY QUIRKY LIVE AUDIO DRAMA SCRIPTWRITING COMPETITION
TO BE PERFORMED IN FRONT OF A LIVE AUDIENCE AT PodUK 2020!
Following on from our performance at London Podcast Festival this year, we are excited to announce a new Dashingly Quirky Audio Drama Scriptwriting Competition. Our aim is to encourage writers from the LGBTQ+ community to submit; you don’t have to be based in the UK to enter!
Accepting 5-10 page short radio scripts!
How to submit: Send your script to the email address (email@example.com) along with a £3 Ko-Fi contribution to Quirky Voices. Use the same email for both and submit them by midnight on 26th December. The £3 submission fee to help us cover costs for the event; our aim is to pay our actors and technical staff.
The winning scripts, which will be chosen by blind-reading by a panel of LGBTQ+ audio fiction fans and professionals, will be performed at PodUK 2020 in Birmingham. Full terms and conditions for the competition are below in the fine print!
1) Scripts must be ten minutes or less (so under ten pages in length)
2) Scripts must be written by or including storylines, characters, issues for, by and or about the LGBQT+ community.
3) Scripts should include a walk-on part of one or two lines for an audience member
4) The script must include elements of live foley, achievable in a live setting. Feel free to give hints in the script as to how to create these sounds or leave it to the creative team to fathom.
5) We would love to create exciting atmospheres with live soundscapes that perhaps the audience can help create. Please think about how sound can be utilised creatively to convey space and place in your piece.
6) Think about you audience! Visitors to PodUK are podcast fans, and many listen to an abundance of audio fiction already. What are you bringing to the table?
7) Please limit your required cast to 2-5 actors! We have limited rehearsal time and need to make sure we make the best use of time possible. We are also not accepting monologues this time. You are free to have actors multi-roling but this should be specified within the script. We will do our best to have true representation of characters, but due to the limited funds available that may not be fully possible; we will be holding casting calls where appropriate to ensure we represent characters as truthfully as possible.
8) Trigger warnings: please include all relevant trigger warnings within your script.
9) Please put the following code in your front page of your script AND on your Quirky Voices Ko-Fi donation page. This means we can easily corroborate that entrants have sent both their submission and £3 fee.
For example...: SarahGolding/SpacialAwaremess/Comedy/5/8
GO FORTH AND CREATE!
We look forward to your scripts!
Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries. Thank you.
DASHINGLY QUIRKY SCRIPTWRITING COMPETITION FINE PRINT AND KEY INFORMATION - PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW!
1. Your writing must be entirely original. No fan-fiction please, and no requests for copyrighted music. Your script should be previously unperformed; PodUK should be the World Premiere!
2. Scripts should be written by or including storylines, characters, issues for, by, or about folks from the LGBQT+ community. Any one or more of these factors qualifies the script, and we trust that people will enter in the spirit of the competition. Writers may be of any sexuality (including non-LGBTQ+), identify as any gender or non-binary, and will not be asked further questions about themselves to qualify.
3. Script format – please submit your script in a format that is easy to read; if you’re unsure, use Arial and keep your font between 11-12pt. There’s a great guide to BBC Radio format here. Please submit your script as a Word document rather than a PDF to ensure we can change font size/layout for ease of performance if necessary.
Whatever script format you choose, SOUND, FOLEY and MUSIC cues should be on a separate line, easily distinguishable from the dialogue. Eg.
SOUND: ROUGH SEAS, BREAKING WAVES
FOLEY: SEAGULLS CRY
CAPTAIN: Help us all!
FOLEY: CRACKING WOOD AS THE SHIP HITS ROCKS
MUSIC: SIREN-LIKE GHOSTLY TUNE; MERFOLK ENTICING THE SHIP’S CREW.
4. Please add a front page with your name, title of the audio drama, and your contact email address plus Unique script code (outlined below). Do not put these details anywhere on the actual script as we want to keep them anonymous for judges. 5. Rights – By submitting your script to the competition, you give the Dashingly Quirky Live team permission to perform it at PodUK 2020 in Birmingham, and to release the resulting audio as a podcast episode via Quirky Voices. Otherwise, you retain full rights to your script and characters.
6. The submission fee of £3 covers submission of as many scripts as you would like to submit. One fee for one/ten/fifty scripts (although try to send only your best and brightest!) The fee goes towards paying our actors and technical staff as the Dashingly Quirky performance is an unticketed event within PodUK. There are also rumours that the winners get trophies.... 7. You are welcome to enter from anywhere in the world; this is a worldwide competition! You do not need to be a PodUK ticketholder or UK resident to enter.
8. Please contact us with any questions at QuirkyVoices@gmail.com or on Twitter via @QuirkyVoices or @DashingOnions, or find us on the Audio Drama Hub Facebook page!
HAPPY WRITING! We look forward very much to reading your audio awesome!
Fiona, Sarah, and the PodUk team!
DASHINGLY QUIRKY TEAM 2020 - With Rocksalt Events Management
Who is behind organising the Poduk Dashingly Quirky Event for Feb 2020?
Rocksalt Events Team Bret, Jess, Chris
ROCKSALT EVENTS ^^MANAGEMENT TEAM^^
Poduk attendees at the after party 2019. Will you make it here this year? Doooooo!